This calendar/checklist is designed to help guide
through a successful term.
• Make sure the Membership Committee has all the information and card template needed for a successful membership campaign.
• Make sure the Reflections Committee has all
the information for
a successful Reflections Program.
• Hold first general
membership meeting and vote on the proposed PTA budget, adopt the fiscal year-end audit and send copy of audit to state
PTA office. A copy of 990 forms must also be forwarded to state PTA office.
A copy of your membership approved audit must be sent to the State PTA office as well as Henrico County Public Schools attention:
• Hold a legislation meeting to have your general membership vote on Virginia PTA’s Proposed Legislation Program and send
the tally sheet of votes to your district director.
Remind Treasurer that dues should
be postmarked and sent to the State Office by December 1 so your Local Unit remains in “Good Standing”.
• Establish dates for January newsletter deadlines (including
* First dues payment to State/National PTA due on 12/1
* County Council Dues are due by 12/1.
(.10 x each member as of 6/30/11)
• Enjoy the holidays and rejuvenate for the remainder
of the year.
• Make reservations for Virginia PTA’s
PTA Day at the General
• Advertise for
members willing to serve on the nominating committee.
• Attend PTA Day (may be held in February.)
• Elect nominating committee (check
PTA bylaws to see when and how this election
• Ask the executive board to let the nominating committee
know of their intentions for the new PTA year.
• Remind treasurer that all
dues collected since Dec. 1 must
be in to the state office
by March 1.
• Review PTA budget.
• Arrange auditing the books when they close at the end of the fiscal year.
• Attend district’s annual meeting
(may be held in April).
• Have the nominating committee
report the slate of
proposed officers to
(check local unit
determine when this report should be presented).
• Remind board members to update procedure
books and, especially, include recommendations for
outstanding supporters by giving them Virginia
PTA’s Honorary Service Awards. (See
Honor all PTA
Send local Volunteer of the Year nominations to councils or districts for
• Attend the district legislation meeting.
Observe Teacher Appreciation
• General membership meeting
to elect and/or install officers (May happen in June)
with outgoing president for briefing.
Meet with Executive
to meet with principal
• Look for the Incoming President’s Packet
from the state office.
• Have transitional board meeting with old and new members.
Assume duties at time prescribed
in your bylaws.
• Send all forms including
the new officers names/addresses
to the state
PTA office. EIN (tax ID) number must also be on file with state PTA office.
and update committee
procedure books, develop procedure books for new positions.
• Make sure the outgoing president
arranged the audit
for the previous year
• Send names/addresses of officers
to the school board office in order to receive their mailings.
• Make reservations for Virginia PTA’s Leadership Training
• Remind your outgoing treasurer that all dues collected since March 1 must be in to the state
office by June 30.
• Attend Virginia PTA’s Leadership Training Conference
• Budget committee meets to develop next year’s budget and prepares to present it to the executive board before going before
the general membership
for final approval.
with the principal when PTA information needs to be available for the school’s Welcome Back Packets.
Hold a meeting of the executive committee to go over the plans of work and schedule
for next year.
a meeting of the executive board to go over all
items and approve the budget that will be presented to the general membership.
the membership cards template from the Virginia PTA web site.
• Look for
and share mailings from national,
state, district and council with your board.
• Prepare an article for your newsletter and Welcome Back Packet.